What do graduates go on to do with the work? How easy is it to secure work?
The fields of expressive arts therapy, movement therapy and art as a healing force are continuing to grow, become more widely understood and recognized each year. Many of our graduates go on to work in a range of diverse areas - hospital settings, private clinics, colleges/universities, community health programs - as self employed artists, movement educators/therapists, practitioners and consultants.

Some graduates work with particular focus groups and specialize in trauma, recovery from addiction, the elderly, corporate business, children, and community service. The area and line of work depends on each individual, what they bring to their training from previous background and strengths, the area of expertise in which they wish to focus, and how each graduate is able to apply his or her marketing skills. Please click on the link to Graduate Profiles to read in more detail examples of what some of our international body of graduates have gone on to do upon graduation.

Do you have scholarships or funding?
We currently have one position for a work study student in each training program. Work-study scholarships are awarded to an exceptional student who is able to demonstrate financial need. In exchange for looking after and monitoring the studio, acting as the group's contact person for the Tamalpa office, relaying administrative information to students, and keeping supplies stocked, the work-study student will receive a fixed discount towards their tuition.

The Institute also encourages students to apply for grants. In some cases, depending on the status of the Art Works Scholarship fund, Tamalpa may be able to offer matching grant scholarships. Please contact the Tamalpa office directly if you require financial assistance.

Do you offer student visas for international students?
Yes! We are currently allowed to offer M1 visas for our full time 'Immersion' training programs, please click on the link for international students for further information and the visa process.

Can I come straight in to do Level 2 and bypass Level 1?
Many students who already have backgrounds in performing arts, movements or psychology will ask this question. Because the Level 2 Leadership Training requires personal embodiment of our approach and methodology, and is based on a very particular approach and methodology which is covered in the Level 1 training, students cannot bypass the Level 1 training. Level 2 is based on the understanding, principles and specific practices taught in the Level 1 training and builds upon the principles and practices of the work. Students need to experience and embody the Halprin Life-Art Process for themselves in the Level 1 training program before applying for Level 2.

Do I need to have dance experience or art experience?
No dance or art experience is necessary to participate in our training programs. A love for creativity, a deep interest in the body, movement and art making, and a commitment to in-depth personal and group inquiry and process work is essential. Our classes help each individual to cultivate their own expression and learning through each medium and through the art-based process.

What is the age group?
Training programs include a broad mix of ages, ranging from 23-65. Our applicants are predominantly in their late 20s to early 50s. However, we recognize no age limit!

Are there any men in the training programs?
Yes, however there are generally far fewer men than women involved in the movement/dance and expressive arts therapy field. Our programs will reflect this unequal ratio. Each training program varies. We have had no men in some training groups and anywhere from 1-6 or more in others.

Are there any other schools or institutes where I can learn the Halprin Life Art Process?
To train in the Halprin Life-Art Process and to become a Halprin Practitioner, you will need to study at the founding school located in Kentfield, California as it is the only place in the world that offers the Halprin Life-Art Process training programs. However, we have graduates around the world who teach the work, offering classes and workshops to the general public. We recommend that those interested in our work take advantage of the programs offered by our graduate teachers in their home communities and countries.

What is a typical day?
Each day typically includes movement/dance, drawing and creative writing or dialogue work, group sharing and discussions in varied combinations in solo, partner and group combinations. Please refer to Tools and Methods on the Home page. This will give you a breakdown of the kinds of activities you are likely to experience in a day. For further information on what you are likely to experience in each training program, please click on Level 1 and Level 2 respectively.

Do you have accommodation resources?
Yes we do. Once each student is registered we provide them with an accommodation list of available rooms and accommodation in the area. It is up to the student to contact each landlord/lady directly. Many of the resources on our list have provided housing for our students for many years and are very familiar with the work of Tamalpa. The average cost per month for housing for a room in shared accommodation is anywhere from $530-$850 per month. Tamalpa Institute provides a housing list but does not give any specific endorsement to the listings and landlords. Students are responsible for their own research and arrangements. www.CraigsList.org is another resource for housing resources.

Do I need to do Level 2?
Level 2 is designed to be intrinsic to training in our work and for the field. It is the next step following the Level 1 training. If you wish to teach the Halprin Life Art Process and be certified as a Halprin Practitioner you will be required to complete the Level 2 training. Many students come to experience Level 1 and then quickly find that once they have experienced the potential of the work for themselves they want to go on to advanced practice and to facilitate the work for others. Most students prefer to do both Level 1 and Level 2 training one right after the other, in order to continue training with their Level 1 training group and also to maintain a focused study of the work. It is possible to return on a different year for the Level 2 training. Some students must return to work and families after the Level 1 segment, and then continue the Level 2 training program in a following year.

Many Level 1 students who are not sure if they wish to go on to teach, find that the Level 2 training helps them to fully embody and put into practice what they have experienced and learned in Level 1. We do advise that if you are applying for funding that you include the Level 2 training in your application even if you are not sure if you are going to do both Levels, as often funding is only awarded in one sum. We also suggest that if you are inclined to be interested in Level 2 training, that you plan ahead for it.

I have an injury will I be able to attend, how vigorous is the movement?
It depends on the injury, the severity of the injury and the way that the person wants to work with the injury. It is very important that in your application process you notify the office in advance if you have any injuries or other medical conditions so that we can help guide you through what an average week will look like and so that we can asses the situation with you beforehand. Some sessions include more vigorous movement than others. However in all classes physical limitations and injuries will be worked with. Our approach to movement/dance is not based on form and technique but rather on expanding the range of movement and the range of creative expression to express the authentic individual experience physically, emotionally and imaginally. In Level 1 students are introduced to 'Movement Ritual' - a floor based exercise to increase body awareness, expand range of motion, increase flexibility and release tension in a way that works within the given range of each individual.

Back to Top ››

© 2006 Tamalpa Institute  |  credits